TRAFFIC ENGINEERS KEEP YOU MOVING WITH THE FLOW.
Traffic signals, road markings, traffic signs, medians—these are what keep traffic flowing smoothly, safely, and efficiently. These traffic-control devices are so commonplace that we don’t even give them a second thought … until we’re stuck in traffic because of an equipment malfunction or because of poor planning.
Typically, a traffic-control system incorporates a variety of passive devices (devices that provide the same guidance at all times) and active devices (those which provide guidance that changes according to traffic requirements).
For example, an intersection at a shopping mall entrance might have:
- A traffic signal to regulate the flow of traffic (active).
- A device to synchronize the timing of all traffic signals within the system (active).
- Road markings designating a crosswalk (passive).
- A traffic sign indicating that the right lane must turn right (passive).
- A traffic island to channel traffic into the mall (passive).
- A traffic monitoring device to modulate the traffic signal according to demand (active).
- An emergency services device that keeps the intersection clear when emergency vehicles are present (active).
At Lutjen, our engineers evaluate traffic volumes and patterns within and around your project to determine your specific traffic-control needs. Whether your site requires a simple system of signs and markings or a complex system that incorporates the latest in traffic-control technology, you can count on Lutjen to develop a solution that’s efficient and cost-effective. Because our designs are based on existing, planned, and future traffic modeling, you can be assured that the traffic around your site will flow smoothly today and tomorrow.